“Cat Person”
The New Yorker · Kristen Roupenian · 12/4/17
The New Yorker
13 reads
6 comments
44 min read

Comments

You must really read the article before you can comment
  • erica - 1 month ago
    WOW, this was a great story.

I think the reason it garnered so much attention is because the writer nails this: sometimes women have sex with men not because they want to and not because they are physically forced to but because they feel obligated.

> But the thought of what it would take to stop what she had set in motion was overwhelming; it would require an amount of tact and gentleness that she felt was impossible to summon.
    > She knew that her last chance of enjoying this encounter had disappeared, but that she would carry through with it until it was over.
  • Kiki - 2 months ago
    I’m not sure why this story is garnering all the attention it has; reading it was cringe worthy I knew it would not end well, with two different souls looking for two different things. However I am glad I read it and am enjoying the NPR discussions about it
  • Pegeen - 2 months ago
    I agree with everything Joanne said, however, I didn’t like being on their date! Found myself wincing!
  • mpstanford - 2 months ago
    Just one example that made me laugh out loud: "By the time she got to her room, she already had a text from him: no words, just hearts and faces with heart eyes and, for some reason, a dolphin."

This felt so real--his reaction, her dread about his reaction, her attempts to be attracted to him by imagining his attraction to her, and that awkwardness when too much of the attraction is based on texting.
  • joanne - 2 months ago
    Yikes, I feel the pain of "dating" in this day and age. Robert had creep factor written all over him, although Margot was equally responsible in sucking at relationships. The fourteen year gap in their ages doesn't seem like much but there was a huge level of immaturity in her actions and decisions and he was just much to old to behave like he did. No wonder, he's still single at 34 and she will never find that boyfriend to laugh with. Love the writing, I felt like I was on that date with them.
  • jamie - 2 months ago
    Wow..... and I actually felt sorry for Robert! Tamara is also a creep.