What We're Reading
Article of the Day
Baron Davis gets bored like the rest of us, and when that happens, he does what we all do. Take, for instance, one night a couple of years back: He lounged on his couch, doing very little...
- 9 minTrade sanctions. Withdrawal of military aid. The Trump administration used both to try to block a measure that was considered uncontroversial and embraced by countries around the world.
- 54 minA plausible theory of mind-boggling collusion.
- 9 minWomen have more options, for one. But a new poll also shows that financial insecurity is altering a generation’s choices.
- 30 minThree days in Wyoming as the hip-hop firebrand tends to his scars.
- 9 minBooksellers on the online marketplace are charging thousands for books that normally sell for a few dollars. Authors are perplexed — and annoyed.
- 47 min“This used to be a bad neighborhood.” Two areas of New York City that have recently gentrified have a corresponding high rate of quality-of-life complaints, which sometimes draws police attention.
- 8 minI want to discuss a popular TV show my wife and I have been binge-watching on Netflix. It’s the story of a family man, a man of science, a genius who fell in with the wrong crowd. He slowly descends…
- 8 minDivers found the missing Thai soccer team. Now rescuers have to choose one of four options to get them out.
- 5 minMr. Carson’s wife is accused of pressuring officials at the Department of Housing and Urban Development for an expensive redecoration of his office.
- 17 minFar-right politicians have taken over the security apparatus in Austria and Italy. Next on their list: the intelligence agencies.
- 3 minPush notifications, influencers, and intercontinental deals teams will all play a role on the fastest-growing shopping day of the year.
- 3 minTesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk accused one of the British divers involved in the rescue of 12 Thai boys and their soccer coach from the flooded Tham Luang cave complex of being a pedophile on Saturday in retaliation for questioning Musk’s contributions to the rescue effort.
- 11 minWhat does it mean, in the face of profound ugliness on the part of the executive branch, to declare the judgment of that ugliness to be outside the authority of the Supreme Court?
- 7 minFrom celebrities to the grassroots, the right is obsessed with the idea there is a secret conspiracy where Hillary is headed for Gitmo. Here’s everything you need to know.
- 2 minAn Oregon woman who disappeared a week ago was found alive at the bottom of an oceanside cliff in Big Sur, California, where she survived in the wreckage of her SUV by using her radiator hose to siphon water from a nearby creek, authorities said Saturday.
- 6 minThe coach, a former novice Buddhist monk, taught the boys some of the basic principles of meditation while they were trapped underneath the earth. I believe it helped save their lives.
- 12 minAlexis Ohanian and Garry Tan make an odd couple. But at VC firm Initialized Capital, they find success investing in startups differently -- using a philosophy equal parts Paul Graham and Peter Thiel.
- 2 minThe American president is deeply unpopular in the United Kingdom.
- 4 minSo-called "crisis pregnancy centers" aren't just in red states.
- 2 minThere was little sympathy online for President Trump after a faux pas while meeting with the queen.
- 3 minCo-working giant WeWork Cos. thinks it can save the environment quicker than Elon Musk.
- 45 minSomebody had to foot the bill for Anna Delvey’s fabulous new life. The city was full of marks.
- 32 minThe long read: These days, every place in the world wants to market its unique identity – and an industry has sprung up to help put them on the map
- 42 minWhen Michael Deng, a college freshman, joined an Asian-American fraternity, he was looking for a sense of belonging and identity. Two months later he was dead.
- 7 minThey can't see his data. He can't see them. But Richard Craib believes the blind can lead the blind to a better hedge fund.
- 7 minUnder a proposal FIFA won’t discuss, SoftBank founder Masayoshi Son would oversee a $25 billion investment to create two new tournaments.
- 25 minNote: The following text is a transcription of the Constitution as it was inscribed by Jacob Shallus on parchment (the document on display in the Rotunda at the National Archives Museum.) The spelling and punctuation reflect the original.
- 10 minEverything is a co-working space now — including upscale restaurants before they open for dinner. The start-up driving the trend is Spacious.
- 9 minIf you must know one thing about journalist Jesse Singal, it’s that he loves reporting on trans issues—trans kids, in particular. If you must know another thing, it’s that a lot of trans people, myself included, loathe his coverage of trans issues with a once-fiery passion that has since cooled into a dormant rage.
- 5 minThe nominee would steer America rightward