What We're Reading
Article of the Day
Nine students and a teacher were killed in a shooting Friday morning at Texas' Santa Fe High School, a law enforcement official said.
- 7 minSurveillance is not a requirement. We’re looking for scrappy entrepreneurs trying to build something better.
- 7 minMatilde Giglio and Mayank Banerjee met in a pub in Covent Garden in 2015. David Cameron had just won a general election for the Conservatives; the UK was one year away from the fateful referendum that would see the country withdraw from the EU.
- 5 min(Paid Content) From odor to dryness, these are the top seven vagina traits doctors say are totally normal.
- 7 minMr. Trump’s decision, while long anticipated and widely telegraphed, plunges America’s relations with European allies into deep uncertainty.
- 3 minIt took decades for Wall Street titans Jamie Dimon and Lloyd Blankfein to become billionaires. Baiju Bhatt and Vlad Tenev did it in a Silicon Valley minute.
- 5 minTeachers say they left the meeting disappointed and frustrated.
- 2 minAfter more than five years of helping turn anonymous youngsters into global celebrities on YouTube, Ben Grubbs is striking out on his own.
- 5 minStudy cites ways to bolster scientific foundations of artificial intelligence
- 10 minArizona educators said they plan to stay into the night Tuesday as lawmakers continue to debate the budget, which includes more education funding.
- 4 minCLEVELAND—Generously admitting that he most likely would not have been able to beat the gritty, defensive-minded Pacers all by himself, Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James credited his teammates during the post-game press conference Sunday with providing the necessary bodies to avoid forfeiting Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. “I really have to hand it to my guys for showing up at the arena and preventing an automatic loss with our season on the line,” said James, praising his teammates’ promptness and stressing that they were equipped to compete with warm-up sweats, jerseys, and sneakers. “We won this game today as a unit, as defined by Association regulations. I’m only one man, and whether you like it or not, that’s just not enough to field a team. Basketball really is a team sport, and you must have four other players on the court at all times.” James, visibly exhausted after averaging 41.8 points in Cavaliers’ wins during the series, also admitted that Cleveland would’ve swept Indiana if NBA rules had not mandated the presence of four superfluous players.
- 7 minFor most people, a cozy cafe offers a place to relax with a cup of joe. Patrons clack on keyboards, tap on phones, sip from mugs and chew on sandwiches. Most people barely register these ambient sounds. But for someone suffering from misophonia certain everyday sounds can evoke deep visceral reactions.
- 6 minDiscover recipes, home ideas, style inspiration and other ideas to try.
- 22 minA fatal overdose in East Portland leads detectives into the Dark Web, where lab-created opioids are bought with Bitcoin.
- 35 minEric Schneiderman has raised his profile as a voice against sexual misconduct. Now, after suing Harvey Weinstein, he faces a #MeToo reckoning of his own.
- 8 minA critic of the Iran nuclear deal makes the case for scrapping the agreement after President Trump announced that the US would pull out of the deal.
- 5 minCatharine Bond Hill examines three primary reasons for higher education institutions' fall from grace.
- 9 minYou may reasonably decide the benefits outweigh the harms, but you should know about those potential harms.
- 10 minIt’s time to tell the whole truth about Junot Diaz. Last month, he came out with a powerful piece in the New Yorker about having been raped as a boy. He connected the dots to his own toxic behavior…
- 10 minCambridge Analytica was aided by an employee at Palantir, a contractor to the Pentagon. Palantir is owned by Peter Thiel, a wealthy Trump supporter and board member at Facebook.
- 5 minThe first official Mother's Day services took place in May 1908 in West Virginia, to honor Anna Jarvis' mother. Olive Ricketts, director of the Anna Jarvis Museum, discusses the day's origins.
- 4 minWhat had been announced as an official victory for the bloc led by the country’s 92-year-old former prime minister, Mahathir Mohamad, instead was cast into uncertainty.
- 13 minThe United States has had the most ambitious research program in Antarctica for 50 years. But our reporters journeyed there and found the infrastructure is aging and deteriorating, and the new price tags are high.
- 7 minWe can't be forced to voice certain beliefs.
- 4 minUS Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson became a leader in the world economy. Here's why he played a critical role in preventing a global depression.
- 15 minStartup CEO Matt Bencke, 45, thought he’d thrown out his back. Then he went to the ER and received the most sobering news of his life.
- 23 minEveryone says the blockchain, the technology underpinning cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin, is going to change EVERYTHING. And yet, after…
- 5 minA disgruntled former employee shot and killed five people at Fiamma Inc. in Orlando, Florida, on Monday morning before killing himself, Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said.
- 2 minPeople who frequently check Facebook on their smartphone tend to have less gray matter in a reward-related area of the brain, according to new research. "S ...