What We're Reading
Article of the Day
Baron Davis gets bored like the rest of us, and when that happens, he does what we all do. Take, for instance, one night a couple of years back: He lounged on his couch, doing very little...
- 9 minTrade sanctions. Withdrawal of military aid. The Trump administration used both to try to block a measure that was considered uncontroversial and embraced by countries around the world.
- 30 minThree days in Wyoming as the hip-hop firebrand tends to his scars.
- 54 minA plausible theory of mind-boggling collusion.
- 47 min“This used to be a bad neighborhood.” Two areas of New York City that have recently gentrified have a corresponding high rate of quality-of-life complaints, which sometimes draws police attention.
- 9 minWomen have more options, for one. But a new poll also shows that financial insecurity is altering a generation’s choices.
- 8 minDivers found the missing Thai soccer team. Now rescuers have to choose one of four options to get them out.
- 8 minI want to discuss a popular TV show my wife and I have been binge-watching on Netflix. It’s the story of a family man, a man of science, a genius who fell in with the wrong crowd. He slowly descends…
- 12 minHow a country can welcome immigrants without triggering a massive populist backlash
- 6 minThe coach, a former novice Buddhist monk, taught the boys some of the basic principles of meditation while they were trapped underneath the earth. I believe it helped save their lives.
- 17 minFar-right politicians have taken over the security apparatus in Austria and Italy. Next on their list: the intelligence agencies.
- 11 minWhat does it mean, in the face of profound ugliness on the part of the executive branch, to declare the judgment of that ugliness to be outside the authority of the Supreme Court?
- 7 minFrom celebrities to the grassroots, the right is obsessed with the idea there is a secret conspiracy where Hillary is headed for Gitmo. Here’s everything you need to know.
- 10 minEverything is a co-working space now — including upscale restaurants before they open for dinner. The start-up driving the trend is Spacious.
- 3 minCo-working giant WeWork Cos. thinks it can save the environment quicker than Elon Musk.
- 12 minAlexis Ohanian and Garry Tan make an odd couple. But at VC firm Initialized Capital, they find success investing in startups differently -- using a philosophy equal parts Paul Graham and Peter Thiel.
- 2 minThe American president is deeply unpopular in the United Kingdom.
- 4 minSo-called "crisis pregnancy centers" aren't just in red states.
- 3 minThe president has said that Britons “like me a lot”. Those who do not were out in force
- 11 minLast week, Slate launched its infinite scroll reading experience. Now, when you visit most Slate stories and scroll to the bottom of the page, another ...
- 10 minGovernor says ‘today is the peak of our readiness’ as 18 divers enter cave in an attempt to bring the trapped boys out
- 2 minThere was little sympathy online for President Trump after a faux pas while meeting with the queen.
- 1 minWashington (CNN)The Justice Department announced indictments in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election against 12 Russian nationals and accused of them of engaging in a "sustained effort to hack into the computer networks" of the DCCC, the DNC and "the presidential campaign of Hillary Clinton and release that information on the internet under the names DCLeaks and Guccifer 2.0 and through another entity."
- 45 minSomebody had to foot the bill for Anna Delvey’s fabulous new life. The city was full of marks.
- 32 minThe long read: These days, every place in the world wants to market its unique identity – and an industry has sprung up to help put them on the map
- 42 minWhen Michael Deng, a college freshman, joined an Asian-American fraternity, he was looking for a sense of belonging and identity. Two months later he was dead.
- 7 minThey can't see his data. He can't see them. But Richard Craib believes the blind can lead the blind to a better hedge fund.
- 7 minUnder a proposal FIFA won’t discuss, SoftBank founder Masayoshi Son would oversee a $25 billion investment to create two new tournaments.
- 25 minNote: The following text is a transcription of the Constitution as it was inscribed by Jacob Shallus on parchment (the document on display in the Rotunda at the National Archives Museum.) The spelling and punctuation reflect the original.
- 7 minAre real-life Democrats leaving the party in disgust? No, but Russian-fueled online trolls want you to think so
- 3 minComedian responds on Twitter after the ex-Alaska governor called him ‘evil, exploitative and sick’ for duping her for his new show